95 recipes for the best Barbecues, from the Backyard to the Riviera!
• Mint Condition Vintage Cookbook / Has Never Been Used
• Published in 1952
• 142 pages
• 5 x 3 5/8 inches
• Plastic-coated recipe cards in a removable binding comb
Foreword from 1952: "The day of elaborate entertaining is past and the informal, casual BARBECUE has taken its place. This, much to the delight of hostess and guest alike. Barbecues have become popular for several very definite reasons. The foremost reason that occurs to anyone who has attended a real Western style barbecue is the good food.
Since it is most commonly held outdoors, you work up a healthy appetite for good hearty steaks, ribs, frank, roasts and burgers with or without tangy sauces. Accompaniments should be of the finger variety: pickles, potato chips or sticks, egg tomatoes, carrot curls, corn on the cob and hard boiled eggs.
The keynote of a successful barbecue is participation on a division of labor policy. One guest can be appointed bartender, another fire watcher, another server and so on. Nothing makes a successful party like making your guests feel important and needed—and they are!”
• Directions on building a Barbecue Pit by architect Irving J. Hirshman
• Section with 24 distinct Menus combining various recipes for a themed-experience
• 5 Tabbed Sections with Indexes: • Menus • Meat & Fish • Sauces, Soups, & Salads • Poultry, Game, & Vegetables • Desserts & Drinks
• Table of Weights and Measures
• Photographs including a cheese spread from Esquire, April 1952
Recipes for Fish & Meat-eaters include: Franks with Cheese & Bacon, Grilled Hamburgers, Grilled Sirloin Steak, Rib Roast of Beef, Roast Beef Tenderloin, Chili, Meat Balls, Terrace Stew, Corned Beef & Cabbage, Shaashlick, Leg of Lamb, Saddle of Lamb, Roast Suckling Pig, Spare Ribs, Roast Pork, Liver en Brochette, Veal Curry, Wiener Schnitzel, Shrimp Cocktail, Fried Perch, Barbecued Shrimp, Broiled Bass, Steamed Clams, Boiled Lobster, Fish Baked in Coals, Broiled Soft Shelled Crabs, Fried Frogs Legs, Fried Scallops, Guinea Hens, Pheasant, Chicken Tetrazzini
Recipes for Vegetarians include: Iced Tomato Soup, All Green Salad, Cole Slaw, Raw Vegetable Salad, South of the Border Salad, Asparagus Salad, Cabbage, Pineapple and Marshmallow Salad, Borscht, Pickled Beet Salad, Vichyssoise